Dog Check-Ups in Charleston, SC
Just like you, your dog needs regular wellness exams. It is an opportunity for our veterinarians to give your pet a thorough examination, checking your pet’s overall health. The net result of routine dog checkups is early detection and prevention of disease, which means a healthier and longer life for your dog.
What is a Wellness Exam for Dogs?
A wellness exam is a nose-to-tail exam that allows our vets to catch emerging health issues early when they are easier to treat. It’s a comprehensive meeting between you, your dog, and our veterinary team, during which we do a deep and thorough assessment of your pet.
When Should You Schedule a Vet Exam?
We recommend an exam with a vet immediately after getting your pet, whether a puppy or an adult. If your dog is under five years of age, you should bring them in for an annual wellness exam. Over five years, your dog needs an exam every six months.
What Happens at a Dog Wellness Exam?
At Hampton Park Veterinary Hospital, we firmly believe that prevention is far better than treatment when it comes to your dog’s health. Routine wellness exams at our Charleston, SC veterinary clinic include the following:
- Gather your pet’s medical/lifestyle history: We take a detailed account of your pet’s medical history and what you are experiencing with your dog on the home front, including behavior, diet, exercise, habits, family assimilation, supplements, what’s going well, what might not be going well, and travel history/plans. This helps create a picture profile of the lifestyle environment specific to you and your pet.
- Nose-to-tail exam: We then perform a detailed and thorough physical exam. We examine your dog’s ears, eyes, nose, throat, mouth, teeth, lymph system, heart, lungs, abdomen, urinary, genital system, skin/coat, musculoskeletal system, nervous system, and GI system for signs of any issues or abnormalities. The examination allows us to get a complete picture of your pet’s overall health to identify where your pet is currently thriving and where there may be signs and symptoms of early disease development.
- Other tests and blood panels as necessary: After the physical exam, we perform an annual blood heartworm test, an annual fecal intestinal parasite test, baseline wellness blood panel as needed individually.
- Treatment planning if necessary: After the examination, we will discuss our findings with you and create a customized treatment plan if any medical issues are identified.
What Are Some Signs Your Dog Might Be Sick?
Any departure from the dog’s normal behavior and routine should be a flag to you that something may be amiss internally. If they aren’t acting like themselves, you should schedule an exam with a vet immediately.
What are the Benefits of Regular Veterinary Preventive Care?
Dog wellness exams are a great way to help your dog achieve optimal health by focusing on prevention and early disease detection. Taking your healthy dog in to see their vet regularly allows your veterinarian to monitor your pet’s overall health and check for potential issues and diseases. Treating the disease early offers your pet the best chance at good treatment outcomes.
Some issues that could potentially be detected during a wellness exam could be:
- Heart issues such as irregular heartbeat or an enlarged heart
- Allergy issues such as inhalant or food allergies
- Ear or eye infections
- Mobility issues such as arthritis or obesity
- Dental issues such as excess tartar, cavities, and gingivitis
- Gastrointestinal issues such as IBD, reflux, or excessive gas
- Other issues such as kidney problems, liver issues, or diabetes
Schedule A Dog Wellness Exam in Charleston, SC Today!
Dog wellness exams are essential for keeping a happy and healthy pet. If it has been a while since your furry friend’s last checkup and you live in or around Charleston, SC, contact our veterinarians at Hampton Park Veterinary Hospital.